Nielsen Debuts Ratings Tool That Measures Streaming Video
April 27, 2021
Nielsen debuted its Streaming Video Ratings, which will measure streaming activity including how the different platforms compare, the devices being used and the streaming behavior of different audience cohorts. Nielsen stated 10 services will be tracked although it initially didn’t name them. But, since last summer, it has included Amazon Prime Video, Disney+, Hulu and Netflix in its weekly content ratings. The syndicated Nielsen Streaming Video Ratings is powered by Nielsen’s NPower audience insights platform.
Deadline reports that Streaming Video Ratings “will also include seven categories of apps, including subscription-based, ad-supported, network, social, gaming as well as multichannel video programming distributors (MVPD) and virtual MVPD apps.”
According to the new ratings tool, “among homes that are streaming capable, Netflix now accounts for about 7 percent of total time to the TV … [and] overall streaming has gone from 18 percent to 25 percent over the past year.” Of streaming capable homes, one-third “access between three and four SVOD services per month, but nearly half of homes also use an ad-supported service as well.”
Nielsen added that, “linear streaming, such as vMPVD apps, has also emerged as a popular and viable consumer content option.”
“By 2024, it’s estimated that streaming platforms will have amassed 210 million subscribers, which represents a staggering number of consumers and a major shift in media habits,” said Nielsen SVP product management senior vice president Kevin Rini. “Now more than ever, it’s important for our clients to have a clear understanding of the streaming landscape, both from a program or content perspective, which our SVOD service does, as well as at a macro view of audience consumption that takes into account the total use of streaming platforms comparable to linear TV.”
TV Technology reports Rini added that Nielsen Streaming Video Ratings rounds out its “suite of streaming solutions and provid[es] a comprehensive view of streaming consumption and advanced audience demographics … [that] will help any business buying, selling or investing in media to have the clear picture of the impact of these consumer shifts.”
Next TV reports that, “media buyers have been looking for ways to compare viewing on TV with streaming usage … [and] Nielsen has been working to develop a new system — Nielsen ONE — that put all viewing platforms and devices in a comparable framework.”
No Comments Yet
You can be the first to comment!
Sorry, comments for this entry are closed at this time.