November 29, 2017
Amazon Web Services debuted AWS Elemental Media Services this week at the AWS re:Invent conference in Las Vegas. The suite includes five services, three based on existing AWS Elemental products and two new services. Announced by AWS chief marketing officer Keith Wymbs, the existing three products include live compression engine MediaLive, packaging technology MediaPackage and file-to-file transcoding engine MediaConvert. The two new services are MediaStore, for video delivery from storage optimized for media, and MediaTailor, a targeted ad insertion program.
Multichannel News reports that AWS is offering the new Elemental Media Services to “tighten competition with companies such as Microsoft and Google,” adding that it will “lean on an on-demand, pay-as-you-go approach for video processing and storage capacity.”
The five services “can be integrated with third-party business and control systems,” said Wymbs, who also reported that MediaTailor “has been key to the ad delivery Amazon has been using for its streaming coverage of NFL Thursday Night Football.”
The launch comes about two years after Amazon acquired Elemental Technologies. “We believe this is the first time such a deep set of capabilities for media processing and delivery resides in the cloud for native services,” said Wymbs. “They can be used by any coming in the video ecosystem as a core building block for their, or their customers’, video offerings.”
According to AWS, more than 50 customers — including Amazon Prime Video, “BT, Pac-12 Networks; Fox Sports Australia Pty Limited; Nine of Australia; M2A Media; Cinépolis; Imagica Corp. (a Japan-based post-production company for movies and TV shows); and fuboTV, the sports-focused virtual MVPD” — have signed up for the new service.
In its press release, AWS goes into more detail regarding the five services:
- AWS Elemental MediaConvert: Format and compress video-on-demand content for delivery to virtually any playback device, with high-quality video transcoding and broadcast-level features.
- AWS Elemental MediaLive: Encode broadcast-grade live video for televisions or connected devices. Quickly stand up broadcast channels or live events and deliver them reliably to your viewers.
- AWS Elemental MediaPackage: Prepare and protect live video streams for delivery to Internet devices with rich playback experience features such as start-over TV.
- AWS Elemental MediaStore: Deliver video from high-performance storage optimized for media.
- AWS Elemental MediaTailor: Insert targeted advertising into your video without sacrificing quality to increase viewer engagement and boost revenues.
How Andy Jassy Plans to Keep Amazon Web Services on Top of the Cloud, Forbes, 11/27/17
AWS Elemental Takes Next Step Forward with Media Services Offering, Sports Video Group News, 11/26/17
Amazon Debuts Elemental-Based AWS Media Services for Video App Creation, TechCrunch, 11/27/17
Amazon Plays Catch Up in a Corner of the Cloud Where It Lagged, Bloomberg, 11/27/17